As I write the last blog for 2018, I’m amazed yet again how fast the year flew by. Aside from all of the traveling we do over Christmas Day and Boxing Day and the inevitable family drama such as an under-cooked turkey, melted ice cream or relatives arriving late for dinner, I love the Christmas Season. I love coming up with a theme for our family Christmas card, I love decorating and baking, but most of all I LOVE the arrival of Elfie (our elf on the shelf). Our main floor looks like Santa’s elves have attacked with trinkets, decorations, candles, plants and greenery covering every surface and corner. Each year I OBSESS over my gift wrapping theme – paper, ribbons and gift tags. I may even go so far to organize the theme of the wrapping by house and/or family... Like I said, I’m obsessed.
As we wrap up 2018, I love looking back over the blogs that have been shared. They paint a story of what has transpired throughout the year from emerging pathogens and new trends to areas we had not considered and are now becoming an infection prevention concern. They also highlight the breadth of interest you, the readers have in the topics I’m sharing. As you can see from the top 10 Talk Clean To Me blogs for 2018 the topics are pretty varied!
1. Pools Poised for Plagues - discussed a MMWR Report showing that nearly one-third of disease outbreaks caused by chlorinated or treated water can be linked to hotel pools and hot tubs.
2. Infection Control for Basic Beauty – summarizing my experience at one of the largest Professional Beauty Trade Shows and the difference between Canada and the USA in terms of the level of cleaning and disinfection required for tools and implements.
3. Rub My Feet - did not lead to anyone offering a foot rub, but did talk about the potential for UV-C devices to reduce the bioburden on the soles of our shoes.
4. Let the Sun Shine In – summarized a study that showed bacteria levels in dust in dark rooms was higher than in those exposed to sunlight.
5. Spring Showers Leave Bath Toys in the Dust – reviewed a study highlighting the potential of children’s bath toys to become contaminated with pathogenic organisms.
6. Under the Weather? Under Productive! – discussed how influenza is associated with greater workplace productivity loss (sick days and presenteeism) than any other acute respiratory illnesses.
7. Colon Infection Control – may have you rethinking getting a colonic after an investigation showing that the cleaning agents being used would have been completely inadequate to eliminate hepatitis C, hepatitis B, or HIV should they be present on the instruments used to perform the colonics.
8. Cholera Comes to Canada – summarized an outbreak of cholera associated with eating herring eggs.
9. #TBT but on a Fri-Yay: V-logging anyone – shared a really bad video of myself talking about how cleaning can control infections and costs.
10.Are you ready for some football? - looked at ways to minimize getting sick at your Super Bowl Party!
I’m not exactly sure what 2019 is going to bring, but I look forward to finding more interesting and fun topics to blog about and hope you’ll continue reading! Until next year, wishing you every happiness this holiday season and throughout the coming year!